“Your word is a lamp to my feet and a light for my path” Psalms 119:105
Picture this for a moment …a lamp fastened on your feet and your path illuminated to the end.Won’t you enjoy the journey?…Stumbling and falling becomes vocabulary.
David himself in Psalms 119:103 declares, “How sweet are your words to my taste, sweeter than honey to my mouth!” (How sweet is this?!)
Spending time in the word has always been a moment of refreshing for me. At times the Word of God just pushes me to question my next move, at times it gives me a lash or two.All of life’s questions have answers in the Word.I can bet my last coin on this one!…(Who’s up for the challenge?☺).George Washington, the 1st President of the United States backed this up when he stated, “It is impossible to rightly govern the world without God and the Bible” (Need I say more?)…2 Timothy 3:16 puts the icing on the cake; “All scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching,rebuking,correcting and training in righteousness”
From Genesis to Revelation, the scripture screams Divinity!Soren Kierkegaard rubber stamps all this when he states, “When you read God’s Word you must be constantly saying to yourself ‘It is talking to me and about me’ ”
I am soooo excited about this!…Can you feel the sweetness?
What’s in the Word?
Psalms 19 breaks it down for us…Let’s see…
- The Law of the Lord is perfect reviving the soul(Verse 7a);We look and strive for perfection in the world,yet the Word is perfection and with it our souls are revived!…Hallelujah!
- The statutes of the Lord are trustworthy,making wise the simple(Verse 7b);Trust God’s Word to deliver,guide you and answer your life’s questions. Trust God’s word to make you wiser through the journey of life…Amazing!
- The precepts of the Lord are right giving joy to the heart(Verse 8a);There is 0(zero) error in the Word.Scripture explains scripture so no contradiction.God does not mince His words and whenever He assures us of never leaving nor forsaking us he means it and in our loneliness He is present!…What joy!
- The commands of the Lord are radiant,giving light to the eyes(Verse 8b);His commands warn us of a ‘pit’ that lies ahead of us before we fall into it.They show us the way to go…Enlightening!
- The fear of the Lord is pure,enduring forever(Verse 9a);The Message Bible puts it so well,God’s reputation is twenty-four carat gold(what value!),with a lifetime guarantee(eternity secured)… Mind- blowing!
- The ordinances of God are sure and altogether righteous(Verse 9b);No double-standards,they are sure and altogether righteous,meaning none left out,these ordinances are righteous…Wow!
- They are more precious than gold,than much pure gold(Verse 10a);Isn’t this utter pricelessness!…It is purer than gold!Better than a diamond set between emeralds according to The Message version (What kind of purity is this?!)My goodness, if this does not gravitate you towards The Word,I don’t understand or fathom what will!…fantamarvelous!
- They are sweeter than honey,than honey from the comb(Verse 10b);Anything sweeter than honey?and not just honey,but that from the honey comb?(anyone tasted anything like that?If yes,what?😁) This kind of sweetness is just beyond sweetness,it cannot be described using words,it is beyond letters!…Ladies and gentlemen,boys and girls,let me present to you God’s Word,sweeter than honey from the honey comb!…yum yum!
- By them is your servant warned, in keeping them there is great reward (Verse 11);For example Proverbs 20:28 says, “Love and faithfulness keep a king safe;through love his throne is made secure”…It is only through love and faithfulness that security is promised. God’s word warns us of oncoming danger.It is our GPS.We cannot afford to go through life freestyle,then how will we find our way or know when we play the fool?(The Message Version)…Ring ding!
In summary,God’s Word is:
- Sweeter than honey from the honey comb
God’s Word is all-rounded!
What do we need to do then?Invest time in Bible Study both in a group and as an individual,these are sure ways of developing such a rewarding habit and as a result you grow both spiritually and socially.
Does one have to read a myriad of chapters a day?Of course not, a chapter is okay and even a few verses read within context.See what Charles Spurgeon says about this, “Some people like to read so many Bible chapters everyday.I would not dissuade them from the practice,but I would rather lay my soul asoak in half a dozen verses all day than rinse my hand in several chapters. Oh to be bathed in a text of Scripture and let it be sucked up in your soul till it saturates your heart!” Do not condemn yourself if you are unable to read a number of chapters a day☺
How do I study the word?Have a Bible,a pen and paper with you, look for a quiet place away from distractions.Your room could be that quiet place or somewhere out there.
You can decide to follow your own plan,for example read a chapter a day from both the Old and New Testament or(allow me to be biased)…the best way would be the use of Bible Study plans,for example Bible Study tools (Click here) has a number of plans one can choose from depending on schedule or preference.
An unknown author advices this as you embark on this journey, “There is a way of reading the Bible that seems to leave God far away off in the shadows somewhere.It is all information, technicalities and knowledge but it feels like you are sitting with your back towards God.You come up against a difficulty or question and you go to books, you ask pastors, friends,strangers on the internet,anyone but Him. Gradually God gets smaller and dimmer.”
Please do not leave God out of the picture.
Pray this prayer with me,
“Dear God,as I embark on this journey,I ask for your help.Teach and guide me through by the help of the Holy Spirit.Help me to remain in your word and apply all I learn to my life. Help me stick to this discipline and grant me the courage to share what I learn with others.Teach,train,rebuke and correct me via your word.This I pray trusting and believing.” Amen.
Have an amazing week ahead!
Copyright ©2017.All Rights Reserved.